Saturday, March 28, 2009

Jammin' the Blues (1944)

Since this film was only 10 minutes long, I am only going to dedicate a review of the same length. In our world full of hour, two hour, three hour epics, it was a breath of fresh air to feel the same emotion as you would in one of those multi-million dollar productions, in this simple jazz-filled ten minute "jam" session. Jammin' the Blues, done as a short in 1944 is a brilliant introduction to the raw nature of a music that has nearly gone extinct in the modern age. Beginning with a simple turn of a hat, the room filled with smoke and bold whites, you can easily get caught up in each of the musicians emotions, facial expressions, and passion of a genre nearly dead. This is jazz. This is blues. This is history being made using Hollywood to record it. It is original and honest. It is a bolder documentary than modern concepts and it conveys a power unheard of even today. Oh, and did I mention that it was only 10 minutes long?!?
Thinking further about this brief interruption of jazz, I wondered if I could watch this short little reel again? Would the excitement of hearing this for the first time be relevant on the second viewing? I once read that Bogart walked into this session, stopping whatever film he was working on, and said he needed to hear this because nothing like this would ever be recreated again. I would have to agree. Jammin' the Blues is very important. It needs to be heard, but instead of repeat viewings, take this as a chance to recognize the roots that it planted. Watch this film - then immediately go to your local record store and explore. After watching Mili's use of technology and soul to create this instant classic, I wanted to hear more. This wasn't a film to indulge the sensory of sight, but more for the ears. Watching these musicians like Lester Young or Joe Jones with the singing talents of Marie Bryant - again - staged with either the dark or bold white background was amazing. Brilliant to be exact, but it just compelled me to to listen to more music than watch musicians at their best.

Can I recommend this film to anyone? No - I can recommend this to EVERYONE. I found this on the Norman Granz Improvisation DVD as a supplimential feature - although I think it would be great as a single issue for about $5.00. I admit, to own a moment of history like this, I would consider spending more.

Watch this film once - then explore. Find other LPs - listen to the emotion of this era and do not forget. Do not forget the roots of our modern sound.

Discovered in my book "Defining Moments in Movies" - the collaboration of this group is marked as a cinematic classic, naer to be repeated again. I would agree whole-heartedly ... but I don't think I could watch it again. It was bold for a first run, but all it gave me was the itch to seek out more.

Finally, it gets a pink mark. Watch this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment