Thursday, May 7, 2009

T-Force (1994)

I am very excited with the direction in which this blog has taken me. Not only did I have the chance to experience my first "man" movie (aka boobs, bombs, and best buds), but also this little ditty of a film nearly brought a tear to my eye. It was so full of humor (though probably not intentionally), it was so full of excess punch, and so full of of overplayed gimmicks, that for me - this worked. If I were going to give a friend of mine a bachelor party, this film would be on the agenda. Who needs strippers when you have T-Force. Honestly, I had no idea what to expect when this film filled my player, but this project of watching any films anytime has really opened the door to opportunity and possibility. So - I guess what I am trying to say throughout the humdinger of this review - don't be biased, watch movies that you wouldn't typically watch - you may get a T-Force out of it.

What am I trying to say? I was a virgin of any Richard Pepin films, but now I want more - I was a virgin to any Jack Scalia films, but now I cannot wait for him to play the bad cop turned worse cop in another mind bending performance. Let me set the air correct. This was nothing remotely close to Oscar nominated films. When the cyborgs (which is used in a very loose term in this film) find a dirty magazine in the trash, they decide to do some role playing. How is that not hilarious?!? Then Scalia gets drunk and tries to have cyber sex, then he gets drunk again (quite a standard in this film) only to work on his car, tell his cyborg partner that he hates computers because of what they did to his dad, and pass out. Did I happen to mention that this is a pure, uncut, powdered "man" film. Pepper within these award winning scenes are hardcore explosions. These aren't your low-budget firecrackers, these are huge ... and they happen without reason, and even if it is grazed with a bullet.

Explosions. Slight nudity. Humor that reminded me of what direct to DVD (aka too low-budget for major studios) were supposed to be. Sure, there are some great ones out there ... Slumdog Millionaire was supposed to be one of them ... but this one is a triple threat. It has everything. If you look beyond the unglamorous facade, there really is something neat about this film. The cyborgs are people, Scalia hates everyone, but in his heart - and by the end of this film - there is a really tender moment. This movie surprised me. I didn't like it, then I loved it, then I really laughed hard. It is one of those films that needs companionship - it needs friends to enjoy. I can spot a dud a mile away, but this film had something - a glimmer of hope. I am not ashamed to show it to friends - I am not afraid to have this film in my collection. It is an honor to have Scalia in my world.

Found in my "Videohound 2005" book - I am going to be bold with this film. I am going to give it a green mark with blue stars. I could watch this movie again. I would easily give it to friends, and I cannot wait to see what else comes my way. Not groundbreaking cinema, but one cannot have that every night!

Also, any film that has both "Fists of Honor" and "Sword of Honor" as its previews - not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment