Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Great American Re-Watch #1: The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

Nearly five months after originally watching this film, I came across it again in the now-infamous "Cult Film" book that has Martin Sheen coming out of the bog. (One of these days I will actually put the real name of that book in here). Not only did I upgrade to the Criterion Laserdisc version of "The Magnificent Ambersons" from the VHS, but upon a second viewing I was able to capture more of the tone that Welles' wanted to demonstrate. I was able to see the searing forge between Eugene and George stronger, and the demonic introduction of the automobile into society. Welles has crafted a stronger, more impassioned story about the human character with "The Magnificent Ambersons" than he has with "Citizen Kane" - and in my books - a better film to be quoted as, "Best Film of All Time".

Yet, it is forgotten. Vowed only to watch on VHS or on Laserdisc (which demonstrates great crisp images and an amazing score), this is a movie that requires, nay, demands repeat viewings. It is a powerful film that pushes the boundaries of our lives and the stronghold of wealth and privilege in this society.

I wish Criterion would release on this DVD, and in fact - I am going to send them a message today about it. None the less, I rewatched this film on 8/11/2009 on Laserdisc. It is the first of my rewatches, and I cannot wait to see what comes next. Now, "The Magnificent Seven", let's see how my first western will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment