Friday, January 8, 2010

Great American Re-watch #3: Labyrinth (1986)

Well, it has happened. My third in the "Great American Re-watch" series happens to be also the second one. Officially, I have now watched "Labyrinth" three times in one year - it may seem dashing, but each viewing has provided more and more to see and understand about Henson's darker side. With this viewing, I believe I have solidified my favorite part, the surreal formal dance sequence (one part Kubrick one part Bowie) followed by the trash lady giving Sarah the items that she has always cherished. I like these two scenes, and they work so well together, because in one hand you have this beauty and elegance - perhaps the world that Jareth sees everyday - and then you see this world that Sarah has created with objects instead of love - and the shape of "Labyrinth" really takes form. One begins to wonder if the trash lady was once a girl named Sarah as well - a dark thought for a film for children.

Henson's puppetry is outstanding. While the 80s didn't provide as crisp of a visual, the imagination was not lacking and the use of Bowie is brilliant. There are so many repeatable lines and classic moments in this film that I cannot wait to see Henson's "Dark Crystal" to compare which one is better.

Do I suggest three times in one year with this film? For the novice film watcher, no. For me, or anyone else out there that grew up with this film, absolutely. It took me eight days to watch this film, not because it was difficult to view, but because Jen got me WOW for Christmas and it takes up a considerable amount of time. This was also a debate to watch this film since I haven't quite finished the last entry in the other book ("Young Lady Chatterley II", urgh, not looking forward to that) - but I jumped ahead while waiting and look forward to what this new book brings me.

Officially watched February 2, 2009 this entry was found in my "Movie Mom's Guide to Family Films" in the L category. I have seen the line-up coming up, and I am excited. Old, new, family, noir - it is all going to arrive this month. It is a new year - let's see if I can keep the pace with 71 films last year. I look forward to the new levels of cinema that I have yet to experience in 2010.

And guess what - I have a follower. It is a good year already!

No comments:

Post a Comment