Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Face of Another (1966)

Found in my "Seen That Now What" film guide, this was a rocky start, but a pleasant, very symbolic ending. Surprisingly, I really liked it. While I believe it adds conversation to the idea of personality, the undertones about the Atomic Bomb and infidelity blend nicely. The vision of this film is equally as tight, with stark black and white set against a light science fiction background. Enjoyed the acting as well as the direction, overall very happy with Hiroshi Teshigahara's adaptation of Kobo Abe's novel of the same name.

In the books, this is going to get a green mark with blue stars. I will watch this film again to merely witness the missed undertones. Also, this is my first Tesigahara film, so I am eager to see his better developed films (supposedly) like "Woman in the Dunes" and "Pitfall", but for now, "Face of Another" will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment