Friday, April 22, 2011

Scanners III: The Takeover (1992)

Is it wrong that I have now seen Scanners III, but none of the others in this series? Is it like starting with the last Matrix movie questioning everything you witness? Let me answer that question with a defined, "NO". You may begin with Scanners III and be pleasantly surprised. Upon watching this movie, I was taken back to a time when VHS was the norm, and Hollywood studios didn't mind releasing low-budget films, because the creativity was ever-present. Today, the same rushed garbage just keeps hitting the streets because DVD is cheap, and a sequel knock-off doesn't need a load of cash. Scanners III provided plenty of boobs, improbabilities, and impressive special effects for a film so far removed from the original Cronenberg classic that, while laughable, just transformed you to a better cinematic time. The story of Scanners III never felt rushed, the details were laid out well, and the ending had one of those quintessential moments that questioned the true finale of Scanners III. It was low budget, it was pure, nearly uncut science fiction that took you to the far reaches of the world. It also had a pretty intense Hot Tub death scene. The science also felt believable. I was impressed.





Found in my "Destroy All Movies" book, this nearly wraps up another great set of films. While mixed on many, this one is one that I am proud to have in the collection. A great early 90s romp through what feels more creative and original then the inner-workings of today's Hollywood. Giving a pink mark (not quite perfect) means that I would revisit it again, and I would be very excited to show this to a group of people! A great entry into a series I cannot wait to explore further!

No comments:

Post a Comment