Monday, February 16, 2009

Lair of the White Worm (1988)

This is exactly the type of film that I was speaking about in my last post concerning Lady in White. I wanted subtle humor, a strong, yet not overwhelming story, and a dedication from both the director and the actors to the world centered around the story. This film, Lair of the White Worm, is the direct opposite of what Lady in White was. Perhaps I shouldn't be comparing the two - perhaps I am only thinking of this film because of how recently I watched it - but for the entire hour and a half of Lair of the White Worm I was enthralled. From the unknown, to poisonous seductions, to phallic dreams, all the way to Hugh Grant never being around - Lair of the White Worm had it all ... and then some.


Look at this picture alone. Look at the detail of the costumes, look at the fierceness of the "new" vampire/snake horror look. This is originality. This is what Ken Russell brings to the table if allowed total control. This is also from the mind of one Bram Stoker, so why shouldn't it be a bit creative. This is my second film this month from Russell, the first being the made-for-TV adaption of Lady Chatterley which kept my attention through amazing cinematography and powerful symbolism, and now for Lair of the White Worm Russell has done it again, but instead - crafted a stronger cult film that remains a staple in 80s horror. I am speaking very highly of this film - here it is - nearly 24 hours since I last saw it, and I am still remembering moments that made me laugh, or made me squirm in my seat, or just visually treated me to something original. This horror film may have been light on the jump-out-and-scare-you moments, but it still conveyed a dark world.


Yep, this film has Hugh Grant - still floppy and witty as always, but it is Amanda Donohoe that steals this film right under your feet. Her portrayal of Lady Marsh is part snake part seductress kept my eyes glued to the screen. She was her character, when she sneered, my heart flew a twitter wondering what she was going to do next. I hate to say that the British do it better, but taking a slice from Lady in White and a slice from Lair of the White Worm, I am definitely going back for seconds with Worm. Adding to the already top-notch cast is Stratford Johns as the butler Peter (amazingly dry and British) and Paul Brooke as the police officer Erny.


The cast makes this a-typical horror film into something worth viewing again and again. The direction by Ken Russell is outstanding - the entire dream sequence is still running rampant through my mind - and that the British knew that they weren't making an Oscar-worthy film - so they just had fun. This film was fun. It was fun to watch and it felt like it was fun to make. That makes watching these types of films so much better. Coupled with the small nuances that Russell creates in the background - keeping us always one step ahead of our characters (which you can do if you listen and use your eyes with this film). Lair of the White Worm was smart, funny, and the perfect horror film to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon.


Watched on DVD - I found this film via the last entry in my "DVD Delirium" book. I am about to jump to "Q" next - so wish me luck. No doubt about it - this film is getting a green mark with blue stars. I loved it. It will be added to the collection for others to enjoy. Thank you Ken Russell for making us proud of horror films again and again and again.

2 comments:

  1. Comparing "Lair of the White Worm" with "Lady in White" is like comparing apples with oranges. That is not to say you cannot do it, you just have to remember they are two different films.

    While they are both horror films, "Lair of the White Worm" is a horror comedy, while "Lady in White" is a horror mystery. Indeed, the title for "Lady in White" in Australia is "The Mystery of the Lady in White."

    As for why "Lair of the White Worm" works better than "Lady in White," I think alot of the credit has to go to Ken Russell, who wrote and directed the film, and is clearly a better writer and director than Frank LaLoggia who wrote and directed "Lady in White"

    I think it also helps that "Lair of the White Worm" is the more straightforward of the two films, while "Lady in White" is seeminly more convoluted and confusing.

    But, in defense, of "Lady in White," I found it to be the more suspenseful of the two films.

    There are some other comparisons that can be made.

    Both films were featured in the TV special "Stephen King's Women of Horror."

    Both films, for me, feature two of the least surprising deaths in a film. In "Lady in White," it is the black janitor. And in "Lair of the White Worm," it is the boy scout.

    Both films are featured in John McCarty's "The Modern Horror Film," as being two of the best horror films made betwween 1955 and 1990.

    And I have seen and liked both films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, there was something about "Lady in White" that just didn't sit well with me. Perhaps the slow paced nature of the film, the eerie similarities between "A Christmas Story" main protagonist Ralphie and the kid in this one, and finally, I think direction wasn't as solid as promised. It was a strong outing, I will give you it had some scares, but nothing compared to "Lair of the White Worm".

    Having watched them back to back, sure, there are quite a bit of apples and bananas between the two, but they are both horror films, and from a frightening element - the latter succeeded. I was into the characters, the art direction, and the pacing of the film, while in "LiW" I just felt bored and longwinded. I had more fun with the latter.

    I agree with your points, that I should look from side to side, but watching them both back to back, it is hard not to compare. Russell is stronger, and obviously had more fun that LaLoggia.

    ReplyDelete