Monday, February 2, 2009

Labyrinth (1986)

It is difficult to say why this film remains a favorite of mine. Is it nostalgia? It is the music? It is Bowie's tight pants? All of these factor in, but I have to say it is truly because of Henson's creations - his creatures. Someone once said that with puppets instead of CGI, you can see the hard work, the dedication, the emotion that goes within each of the creations - and for me, a short-time film critic, it is utterly true. Who knows what Henson would have created if only he was still with us today. Labyrinth is only one, The Dark Crystal is another, and you can see some darkness in Farscape and Follow that Bird, but this ranks among one of my favorite.





"You remind me of the babe", how many times have I begun this line only to have another person next to me complete it. That is the sheer power of this film. It represents the cult nature of what Henson created, the darkness, the imagination, the unknown - all coupled with Bowie and there is just something unique about this film. Shown as the final year film with our FILM CLUB, it was discussed if this is still a "good" film for children to watch. It was also asked if this film continues to entertain, nearly twenty three years later. Our group, considerably mixed. Considered to be a generational thing, the older members who possibly grew up with a fond awareness of Henson and his creature wonders loved what he was doing here. Whilst those, younger and more prone to the modern Star Wars culture, was not as impressed. Much of the disgust came from Bowie, our group could either not stand him, or find him iconic in this role. There was rarely anyone in between. We were darkly mixed, thinking that modern children, fixated on CGI and flashy gimmicks, wouldn't appreciate the value of Labyrinth, but yet it carries so many popular icons. How can you give a child a copy of Where the Wild Things Are yet find Henson's retelling (coupled with the imagination of Maurice Sendak) not as classic.


It boggles my mind, yet I am continually drawn back to this film. Found in a new book - the DVD Delirium: The International Guide to the Wild and Wonderful - Volume 1. I am starting my next five reviews with the letter "L" - Henson's film is my first. I am eager to see this lost, nearly forgotten icon films that are less memorable mainly because 1) it doesn't star Tom Hanks or 2) they aren't shared enough in family atmospheres. Films need to be shared, they need to be explored - I am still angry that I am 30 years old and I just watched Seven Samurai for the first time this year. Not good.


Labyrinth is getting a green mark with two blue stars in my books. I will watch this film again - I will suggest it to families - and I will ensure that Henson's darker imagination is not forgotten. He isn't just Elmo, he is a world that would frighten children.

Also - I do think Ludo needs to get some ointment - he is suffering from the most painful arthritis.


Dance party everyone - dance party.

No comments:

Post a Comment