Monday, January 26, 2009

Pink Flamingos (1972)

There is no doubt in my mind that Pink Flamingos is a cult film. It doesn't surprise me that audiences flock to midnight screenings of this film to laugh, get grossed out, and partake in whatever zaniness comes with having a film of this nature. In fact, I am happy that John Waters found his fame with this film, it reminded me of an early Harmony Korine story without the subtle symbolism about culture. Yet - I didn't like this movie. I didn't find any party humorous. I wasn't that grossed out by the originality of the filthiness of our characters or their actions. I just couldn't comfortably sit behind this film and say, "I was blown away".


Jaded. Probably. Prudish. Nope. Desensitized. You betcha. Perhaps I have heard too much about this film from others. I had heard the gross nature of what made this film such a "brilliant" moment in American cinema. I had already prepped myself for the unbarreled shock of Divine. So, as I sit here and type this - listening to Waters' audio commentary of this film. I wish I could stand behind this film. I want to like this film. I wanted to finish this film and say to others that I had done it, I had watched the filthiest movie ever created. But, I can't. I just can't.


Why? I didn't mind the shock. I didn't mind watching Divine eat dog poop - perhaps the most iconic moment in pop culture cinema - but I didn't like our characters. I didn't like Divine, I didn't like Cotton, I hated Edie. With no major players, even the raw force of who Divine is, I just couldn't attach myself to anyone. There weren't any major conflicts, any major plot devises worth watching. Pink Flamingos has alot of potential, and perhaps for 1972 it was exactly what American cinema needed - that jolt of part Warhol part New Wave.

Watching this film, I just can't think of one frame I liked. There wasn't one moment I laughed, or one moment that I thought - well, this is some witty criticism on our culture - it was just shock. Not a bad use of film, but it works better when there is a point to it all. Sure, it isn't bad when you want to just debunk film - be a terrorist of cinema - but Waters has grown with future films. Pink Flamingos isn't a bad foundation, it just wasn't a film I could stand behind.


My final film found in the "Village Voice" book, I am eager to see what is next. What part of the world will I travel to next? I am considering selling my copy of Pink Flamingos. Sure, it is a cult film - important moment in American cinema - but I just didn't like it. I could not watch it again - not because of the subject matter - just because I am bored with this. In my books, it is getting a yellow and black mark. Never to be watched again. Sorry Mr. Waters.

Oh, but do you know what irks me further - this is a Criterion Laserdisc - spine #341 - so I am going to go ahead and purchase to keep in the collection. Agh, guess you can't enjoy everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment