Sunday, January 18, 2009

Peking Opera Blues (1986)


I had a website. It got dull.
I had a system to review films. It fell to the wayside.
I wanted to continue to review without the parameters of what the big box sites said - so I started this.

Simple, I write down where I found the film, which format I watched it on, my gut feelings, and anything that stood out. This isn't a review, but an opportunity for me to remember. Who knows what tomorrow brings, and I should be ready so I don't have to rewatch horrible cinema.

Our first film begins with a film film stretch coming from the book, "The Village Voice Film Guide: 50 Years of Movies from Classics to Cult Hits". It is aptly titled, Peking Opera Blues.




Peking Opera Blues was watched on January 15th, 2009. It received a 6 out of 10 rating due to a heightened excitement at the end, but lacking a strong introduction. There was something exciting about this film within the final thirty minutes, but this film had to be watched during the day. Evening viewings made me sleepy, thus forcing me to rewatch the beginning four times. This was a challenging film, with intense action and sexual innuendo, it was groundbreaking for the late 80s, but it just didn't speak to me. I don't think I could watch this film again. It was exciting, just not excitable. Remember - there was a cross-dressing woman randomly placed, jackets can block a barrage of bullets, and jewels do not a plot make.



Favorite scenes: Tough. I enjoyed the scene where our characters use the dead General as a trick to fool the guards. Sounds pathetic, but it was fun at the time. Outside of that, nothing stood out as important.



Sound & Picture quality were decent - almost as if I were watching a VHS.



DVD was found on eBay. Was put back in the film room to rent - no takers yet, but the year is young. I can suggest, but could not watch again.



Received a pink mark in the "Village Voice" book giving this film a score of a six. If stumbled upon again, it will not be rewatched.

No comments:

Post a Comment