Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pierrot le fou (1965)

There is something about this film that just pulls at your heartstrings. It is a difficult film to watch, not just via the subject matter (couple on the lam, stealing from everyone, bored relationship), but also the non-linear storytelling that Jean-Luc Godard uses. Yet it is this difficulty that makes Pierrot le fou more than just your average French New Wave film. There are vibrant colors, pop culture references (one of my favorite moments - the Laurel and Hardy bit perfectly placed at the gas station), philosophy, revenge, betrayal, and everything that you would want from a feature film put, should I say, artistically on the screen - and beautifully transferred by the infamous Criterion collection.

This probably isn't a film for everyone, and even I was hesitant when one of my voracious Criterion watchers said that they couldn't get through it. So I was suspicious, but Godard's work pulled me in, kept me seated, and pushed the limits for what I thought were cinematically possible. The individual scenes that he set up were brilliant. One that stands out especially is the burning of the first get-away car. The one strand of what could be a bridge with another car looking as if it just fell off that missing road. Amazing. I had to rewind just to watch that moment again. Wow.

I also loved the way that Godard uses the infamous film 4th plane. This is where he takes us away from the world that he is creating and has our characters speak directly to the camera. It keeps us focused and familiar with our actors. His use of this as well as our other senses, like sight (beautiful cinematography) and sound - we loose the radio when the car turns off - used poignantly for dramatic effect. The picture used to help me remind myself of this film speaks all on its own. Foreshadowing, 4th plane, intensity. It is all there.

Not much can be said for the acting, it was great - but it was the other elements pulled together that made Pierrot le fou work. Obtained via the "Village Voice" book, this is a Criterion film - spine #421.

This film will get a green mark with blue stars in my books. It receives a vote of 9.1 in my eyes. Stronger than Persona on a different level - perhaps more watchable? I will watch this again - suggest it to friends and family - and open the door to further discussions. This film impressed, it seems as if I have been on a very lucky streak lately. Let's see if it keeps up. Just two more "p" films from the "Village Voice" and I am onto another resource. Wish me luck, Pierrot!

No comments:

Post a Comment