Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Jaws (1975)

So, I just finished watching Jaws for the millionth time - but to be honest - I believe this was the first time I ever watched it on DVD, the Collector's Edition - possibly the way that Spielberg wanted us to see this masterpiece - and I am as giddy as a school boy. Never has a film quite scared me, inspired me, and gave me hope for cinema as this singular feature did. Sure, there are plenty of cult films out there, in fact, there are plenty of films that I could watch again and again and again - yet this one just seemed to stand on its own two feet. The entire sequence where Hooper and Quint exchange war stories, and Quint takes the cake sent goosebumps down my arms. It is just as powerful today as it was in 1975 when this film was released. Spielberg has this incredible talent to take they story of a shark eating people and transform it into this deeply rooted human experience. The stark is what pulls investors in, then he pushes it further and extremely universal.


As I watched this in my PSIII, the colors seemed to be more vibrant, more intense, and detail oriented. An element desperately missing in the Friday night TV version - this also made for a stronger cinematic journey. Jaws to me, demonstrates two amazing events - the ability that Spielberg has to create stories, and the fact that you can have a genuine "monster" movie that shows you the creature - yet the fear still shivers down your spine. That shark is a frightening beast. Perhaps this also shows the timeless nature of this film. One could sit down and watch Jaws now, ten years down the road, or even 100 years with young children, grandchildren, and so forth and it just doesn't feel dated. The sense of community in Amity, the lack of modernization in hunting shark, Quint the pirate, and those now infamous words, "We're gonna need a bigger boat" just resonate without the lag of time. Watching this film, now in the early stages of 35 years old, it doesn't feel like it has aged a bit - and the beautiful photography - those starch images of Amity, the blue water being engulfed in red, and the crisp nature of grey on that beautiful great white stunningly maintains its value.

I would also like to applaud Spielberg on his choice of casting. Richard Dreyfuss, looking at him today, is a powerful comic relief character, yet somehow can pull in that jagged humor to create a challenging character. His reaction to Quint's story on the boat is phenomenal. Spielberg gives him the yard to create, and he does it gracefully and intensely. Also, the role of the "everyman" played by Roy Scheider, whose lack of shark knowledge empowers his urge to just keep the local citizens alive. He reacts in ways that I believe I would in such a disastrous situation. Then, as if the grandfather we always wanted arrives, there is Quint. There is a great deleted scene in which he sings behind a boy playing an instrument, which should have been included with the film, because it just shows the insanity of this character. His determination to fight this shark that is in the same class as the ones who killed the men on his boat. Then, when you least expect it, this film becomes less of a small town fighting this great white shark, and transforms into Quint just seeking revenge. His madness has overtaken him.

If you cannot guess already, I finished this film and was ready to watch it again. I was ready to begin to begin my journey into Amity all over again. I wanted to meet Quint all over again. This is such a solid film from beginning to end that it needs repeat viewing. I do not recommend the TV version, as this DVD - in your Blu player will do perfect. One needs to experience the sounds, colors, and intensity that surrounds this film. It is, from beginning to end, perfect.

Found in my "Defining Moments in Movies" book - it is no question in my mind - this film is getting the green mark with blue stars. I cannot wait to watch it again.

In closing, you need to watch that scene in the boat where the three men are comparing wounds. It is just one of those rare moments in cinema where the guard is down and the true raw emotion comes forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment