Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)

There is nobody like Orson Welles. The man can even end a film with this looming microphone swinging in the distance, and it seems more like art than what is released today. My favorite director/actor, Welles proved once and again that what lurks in the shadows are men, and their spirits are more sinister than anything a horror film could produce. Being an avid fan of Citizen Kane, I wanted to experience more - and that is where The Magnificent Ambersons comes into play. Surprisingly, I didn't even know anything about the drama behind this film. I wasn't privy to the knowledge that the studio burned most of Welles' 113 minute long cut, and instead kept with this 88-minute version ... which ... in my eyes ... is still a powerful film. I didn't know he didn't have much say over the final results, and instead, was left with a choppy, studio-driven version that left a soured note in his eye. Oh, the drama. Yet, here it is - found on VHS for now, this was a powerful film about the turn of the century, the introduction to modern technology, and the depression of the status quo. Oddly, created in 1942, this film seems more relevant today - with the current economic distress - and making the overall experience a powerful Welles outing.

I would first like to say that any film that focuses on a central character getting his "come-uppances", is already going to receive high marks. Secondly, narration by Welles himself - guess I asked for a second scoop of cinematic pleasure. The only downside was that Welles should have played the role of George. I completely understand that he didn't want another Kane looming in the distance, but he obviously pulled a Woody Allen trick, where he wasn't the lead role, but had the actor take his mannerisms. Ergo, he was in the film. With that small element aside, the narration did add a rather strong voice to this film. Giving us an everyman's town, a place not unlike where we all live now, with the wealthy experiencing the same issues many of us see daily. That is what pulled my strings the most with The Magnificent Ambersons was Welles' ability to pull such an ordinary event into the view of this wealthy family. We see these things happen all the time with average couples in film, so it was a distinction to see it happen to the wealthy Ambersons. This story is simple, and I am eager to read Booth Tarkington's version as well, just to see what Welles left out. I want to get to know these characters more - and the book should bring that to me.

To end, I loved this film for more than just the actors and the narration. I loved the introduction of the automobile into the story. I loved how the ending (albeit choppy) pulled in more than just a dramatic closure, it spoke to audience about fears, modern advances, and the uncertainty of life. It transformed this film about the turn of the century into a film that could be watched today - nearly 67 years later - and find current relevances. It is more than just a story about a family. This is a story about the future, about depression, about love, and about children. It is about small town America - it is about the changing world - it is about Welles' deep dark soul. This isn't a happy film. In fact, it is rather full of gloom and doom, but it is 100% Welles (or at least the parts not taken out). I loved the cinematography, the looming dark scenes coupled with Welles shadow angles. It was brilliant - from beginning to end, this is not the film you expect when you sit down. This isn't a love story. This is a life story.

Easter - 2009 - a great bottle of wine needed to set the tone for a screening of this film. Unable to find a cheap version of the Criterion laserdisc, I settled on VHS from the local library. This was not the colorized version (thankfully). Found in my "Movie Awards Book" - I am actually stepping out of line here, but I was so excited about seeing this film I couldn't wait. There is no question in my mind, this film is getting two blue stars with one green mark. It will be watched again and again. I could study this film and its little details.

Thank you Orson Welles for such a successful follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment