Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Big Blue (1988)

The biggest box office sensation in France in the 80s finally made it to my DVD player, which wasn't easy due to it being OOP, and my world just got a bit blue-er? This is the film Blu-Ray was made for, yet an authentic R1 DVD is more expensive than the cost of a high-def. disc. The peculiar nature of things in the motion picture industry always seems to bring out random others instead of films that need to see the light of HD. Nonetheless, this was my first time with this film, and I must warn you - if you are hoping to experience "The Big Blue" in all its glory, I recommend the director's cut, and at least three hours of time. Yep, it is that long. Yep, it feels that long, but unlike other films that have time against them, this - director Luc Besson's pacing - works wonders for character development, friendship, and the honesty of passion. Looking back, are there scenes that could be cut? Are there moments that just didn't seem to fit within the scope of the film? To both of these (an many more), my answer remains a "no". "The Big Blue" took about three days to fully watch, and while I kept thinking I wouldn't enjoy this film, I suddenly find myself thinking of when the next time I could watch this ... it is impressive what a director could do with a long time and a powerful subject.

"The Big Blue", as stated earlier, works because of Besson's control of his subject matter. The constant discovery of the darkness of ocean and self-discovery within is focused and accomplished each time the camera transforms its focus. BUT, what really enhances this cinematic experience is our leads. "The Big Blue" would not, nay - could not, have worked without Jean Reno and Jean-Mark Barr's chemistry as competing divers. While Rosanna Arquette does add a level of drama to the screen, nothing can match that of the rival friendship of Enzo and Jacques. From that opening scene as budding divers, until that tragic ending - we watch the screen because of them - because of their intensity, excitement, and ability to do merely one thing, but keep us glued to the screen each and every time. As polar opposites, these two flounder individually, but when they arrive at dives, parties, or homes together - sparks and chemistry fly off the film. Brilliant casting by Besson to bring these two together.

I loved "The Big Blue" for what it represented and what it showed. It is a film made in 1988 that still seems relevant in 2010 (and honestly, without the NYC scenes, could be considered timeless). While the time of three hours will make some viewers cringe, it is worth every minute that you watch. Besson takes time and makes three hours worth watching with charismatic characters and a dark, deep unknown that keeps you wanting more. Found in my "Essential 80s Film Posters" book, I am drawing to a close with this one. I have one more to watch, another classic that I seem to have missed, but I have been impressed. "The Big Blue" will be getting a green mark with blue stars. I will watch it again when it arrives, I will suggest it to friends, but honestly - Hollywood - release this on Blu, it would make HD finally look beautiful again.

No comments:

Post a Comment