Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Do (2006)

On a lazy Sunday nothing seems to fit better than a French romantic comedy that feels fresh, uses bold ideas, but teeters at the end. Not the most original film to be released, "I Do" boasts a pleasant lead, a vibrant Charlotte Gainsbourg, and a snappy twist on the idea of love an marriage. Where "I Do" seems to flounder is the excess of background information found needed to complete this story. "I Do" begins with "Amelie"-esque beginning demonstrating how this man has gone through life without marrying and the taxing feeling it has on his six sisters and mother. It shows his family and his career, and surprisingly, how he found his way into this choice job. There are unique characters, strong sub-plots, but "I Do" finds itself needing to wrap up quickly, so the ending feels mixed. While I did enjoy the film overall, the ending just felt choppy and all-together rushed. A mix of messages from, adoption is hard alone to opposites attract take away from the immediate desire to see love between these two characters, thus ending with merely a sparkler, not a full-fledged firework (4th of July humor for just today). That is what pulls away from this film, that is what makes this romantic comedy, merely viewable - not re-watchable.

I did like the connection between Gainsbourg and Chabat, it kept me guessing if these two really would otherwise fall in love. The underlining theme of opposites attract is found throughout, from the boss to Chabat's best friend. The power-struggle in a home full of women is also demonstrated well, the joke of forming the G7 never felt old or overused. "I Do" was original, it knew when to stop a joke or just how long to push the envelope. There were some sexy moments non-discovered in American films that gave watching a foreign film a joy. Yet, overall, I don't think I could watch it again. It never took risks, it wrapped up too quickly, and some of the edits seemed really bad (aka the time to the wedding seemed too short and unbelievable) - so, "I Do" is getting a pink mark for average nature. Found in my "Halliwell's Movies that Matter", this wasn't disappointing in any way, but it didn't require a second viewing. Would others like this? Maybe. Could I suggest it? Yep. BUT, it is not making it into the collection. There needed to be something that stood out, and the scenes between ABBA and The Cure could have done it, but that momentum ended early and never returned. "I Do" is your average French film, nothing more -- nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment