Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Realizing that I had only seen this movie on either late-night television (censored for the late-night audiences) or via bits and pieces from any "quintessential" 80s stock countdown, I was ready to experience what the now-infamous Ridgemont High had to offer. Being a bigger fan of "Rock and Roll High School", I was unsure if this comedy (if one could place this into that category) would still remain watchable or even, should I dare say it, funny. After an hour and a half, I was proven wrong, and chalk another great film of the 80s whose modern relatives like "American Pie" or any pre-teen film, just can't hold a finger to what this had. Maybe it was Cameron Crowe, maybe it was the vast talent that walked these halls, maybe it was that "Fast Times" isn't just a sexual comedy, but in fact this extremely dark tale about children and the future of our world. Sure, this was constructed in the 80s, but it still feels relevant today.

What did I like about this film? First, let me say that the "same-day" abortion scene seemed light, but also one of those previously discussed dark scenes. High school girl gets pregnant, brother takes her, then together they form a strong bond - or how about the fact that sexuality seems a flash in the pan to our focused lead, Stacy Hamilton (played with some range by Jennifer Jason Leigh who HASN'T aged a day since this film). Also, what about that final scene in the gas station, a focused teen with great grades, a girlfriend, and a powerful car, I also think he was uber popular, but ends up working for minimum wage in a retail job. That final scene where Brad Hamilton (played by the Judge himself) has to foil a robbery with Spicoli seems like an odd way to end a film, but it brought the darkness further into the room. It wasn't this glossy image of teens in high school, this was the precursor to Smith's "Clerks", that sort of mall-rat film that put everyone in a empathetic job with only sex on the mind.

Found in my "Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen" (OK, so not a horror film, but mentioned within as crediting one of the writers with an actual horror film), and I must admit - I loved this movie. I loved the characters, the jokes (Ok, go gentle on me, I'm starting with SANKA today), and the fact that this comedy felt more like a posed threat than a modern teen-boob movie. Giving it a green mark with blue star would be an understatement, but I am proud to give it that. It is a film I am proud to have in my collection and can recommend to anyone. It holds up amazingly well for nearly 28 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment