Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Harlock Saga (1999)

So, the saga of the Anime movies has come to an end. Thankfully. I hate to put it that bluntly, but within five movies I only found one keeper, that is a horrid "ouch" sound. Not to say that the "Essential 500" aren't important Anime films, it is just these particular five were just a mixed bag of rancid stories, fluff characters, and tired animation. It was embarrassing, but hopefully the remaining 495 will provide with endless hours of entertainment. With that said, "Harlock Saga" - a 1999 six-part series that officially has a beginning and a quasi-ending. Without knowing anything about space pirate Harlock and his misfit team of unknowns, this was an exceptional introduction to this world. I liked the world of Harlock, surprisingly, and was impressed by the storyline with this one, the end of the universe with time-lord-esque creatures, who couldn't enjoy this brief "Dr. Who" throwback. The episodes were short, the characters were fun, and the story had just enough development to keep you interested - so, why doesn't this series get a green mark with blue star? Bordom.

You betcha, while it had everything someone who loves anime would want, I just found myself bored by the end of the story. There were moments of pure genius with Harlock and his crew, but then, we would spend an entire half of an episode on absolutely nothing. No development, no character action - nothing, just long inner // outer monologues. The science of this series was strong, I loved the space opera that was placed within the DVD player, and I shouldn't complain because as a whole this was fun, I just couldn't find myself watching this again. The concept that two organ players control the value of time is a powerful notion, but it could have been packed into four episodes or something. I hate to be that vague, but as we came to a close with this series, I just felt relieved to be over. I liked certain elements, but in the end hated more than I loved. Perhaps hated is too strong of a word, I just didn't appreciate the final "hurrah".

Can I suggest this film to friends? I have a couple of dedicated anime watchers that will appreciate the classic nature of this film, and the strong characters, and the powerful plot - and I can say every one of those elements were enjoyable. Yet, at the end, we would have a conversation about anyone else just getting bored with the end result. How do I put this better? Good. Good. Good. Good. Blah. Overall, I think the "Harlock Saga" is getting a pink mark in the book. The first pink in the "500 Essential Anime Movies" book that I am not as excited about returning to. My discovery via this trip down Japanese lane, I just don't love Anime movies - or perhaps it is just that I haven't found the right one yet. Whichever it is, I can suggest "Harlock", but I just don't love "Harlock". What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment