Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Fly (1986)

I realize that it has been nearly a decade since I have written a review for this site. I apologize, September notoriously becomes a month of Horror movies due to an annual horror contest that I host. While fun for those that watch in the month of October, my month of views begins in September. Oh, it is glorious. Not to worry, this film isn't on the contest, in fact, this was a movie that I watched prior to the contest ironically. So, I have had nearly two months of horror, and I am looking forward to my next trip. For those wondering, it is going to be some "Great American Re-Watches", but still fun. But, let's go back, The Fly, a film oddly I had never seen before, but heard moans and groans about it and the grotesque nature of the Goldblum transformation. Needless to say, watching it today, nearly 24 years later, it stands up. It stands up proud. From the gory transformation, the special effects (again, one of those memorable moments where CGI wasn't needed to freak you out), and Goldblum's top-notch performance as a literal "mad scientist",The Fly still stands as a monumental slice of cinema between science and the mind. I was pulled in from the beginning, and honestly could not wait to watch it again. My one, and only minute complaint, Geena Davis. I realize that the two of them were currently dating and perhaps the connection was from that, but she couldn't keep up with Goldblum. Her lines fell flat, her direction seemed stagy, and it wasn't until the end that she finally came into her own ... but then, that could have been because of what Cronenberg was doing with Goldblum. He was the focus and continued to remain as Seth Brundle throughout.

Needless to say, "impressive". Also, I want to add, the upcoming films that I am going to review will be in greater detail than this. Not that I have a problem with short and truthful reviews, but I miss talking about what I like about these films. I already have added The Fly to the collection, and I cannot wait to watch it again. Impressive.

Found, my final entry, in "Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen", this is getting a green highlight with blue stars. I will watch this again and collect it if I ever misplace it. If you haven't seen The Fly, watch it - experience it - see what horror was like pre-CGI. To recycle. "Impressive".

No comments:

Post a Comment