Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Great American Re-watch #4: Z (1969)

It has been a long time since one of these "Great American Re-Watch" moments, and I was impressed to see how time improved my viewing of Costa-Gavras' Z. It has been since January since my last in this series in which I watch a film that I have already enjoyed again to see if time allows for a stronger viewing, and since April when I originally watched this film. Now, watching Z again, this time with the audio commentary by film historian Peter Cowie, it adds a whole new level of enjoyment for a film whose subject seemed foreign to me at the time, but now, with a bit of historical perspective, adds a new light on this Greek tale. The most interesting point about this commentary was how Cowie discusses side-by-side what makes Gavras' film nearly identical to that of the events that took place in Greece, BUT he doesn't place his film in Greece. Oddly, watching this film back in April, I knew that it was due to events that took place - I thought Gavras set it in Greece, but did not - and that merely shows his power of storytelling. These were French actors filling in for other worldly events. Rarely does this happen in American cinema, where we - as Americans - attempt to tell a tale of political corruptness in other land. There are plenty of films with American troops in Iraq, but no stories that translate from what Hussain did told from a US perspective. Interesting.

Watching this film this time I loved it even more. Looking back on my past review of Z in April, it seemed to take forever to watch. I remember not being able to fully appreciate what Gavras was attempting to accomplish, and discussing the polar slowness near the center of this film. Seeing it now, I semi-disagree with myself. The introduction of the Prosecutor adds a different tone to the film, one that is different from the political upheaval started at the beginning. This transition takes a bit of time to understand, but once you see that Gavras has motive and a social point, than Z takes on a whole new level. With the addition of the audio commentary, I must admit, I love this film even more. I haven't had the opportunity to re-watch my other Gavras experience, Missing, but I cannot wait until Z comes back into rotation. This has become a gifting film.

Found in my "DVD Savant" book this time, I wholeheartedly give this film a green highlight with blue stars. I cannot wait to watch it again, and while Cowie merely reads from a pre-set paper, the words and history that he provides becomes important information to fully appreciate this cinematic triumph. Criterion has done a fantastic job yet again with the packaging and special features. When I revisit this film again, I look forward to a couple of the interviews presented and finalize my exploration of this disc. Z was fantastic, a strong recommendation to anyone following this blog or just looking for a fashionable political who-dun-it.

No comments:

Post a Comment