Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Pagemaster (1994)

As a film-watcher, an amateur film viewer, The Pagemaster was an utter disappointment. The animation was genuine, but ultimately dated. The acting was mediocre at best, and the voice work on our animated books seemed like open-mike night at the local karaoke bar. Needless to say, it didn't care the pomp and circumstance that it once did. The unique half-animation, half-live action that seemed borrowed from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? once impressed the child within me, but now just fell short of reaching any goal. With that said, the bookseller in me - the person that I am nearly 90+ hours a week, felt that The Pagemaster should be require viewing at our local library or within our store at least annually. The message within the film, the concept of taking books out, of becoming someone that is trapped within you, that Horror, Fantasy, and Adventure is all you need in life, that books can become your best friends - is a message that I can stand behind. Despite the horrid production, the sentiment behind this film is something that no Kindle will ever be able to duplicate.

As I write about this film, thinking about the terrible scenes intermixed with actual cult classic books (and impeccable lines like "You really are a classic..."), a glow in my heart begins to come out. Could I suggest this film to friends and family? Maybe. Do I want my nieces to watch this and get excited about books? Absolutely. Could I suggest it to children that come in the store? After much thought, pushing the film guy to the side within, I came to the answer "yes". The Pagemaster's voice overpowered its visual flimsiness. Let me be clear, the actual voices within this film is not what I am standing next to, actually far from it, Whoopi Goldberg, Patrick Stewart, Frank Welker, and even Leonard Nemoy just failed at whatever they were attempting to accomplish with their given scripts. Their work felt like it was done separately, in different rooms, and horribly edited together. Case in point, the ending scene where Horror cries. It was awkward and unprofessional to watch. The voice I am referring to is the idea of books. As we move into a year where the hottest gizmo will be a "whatver"-reader, this inspires you to pick up a heavy book, to support your local library, to not forget what it is like to fall asleep in your tree house with a great read. That is the importance of this film. That is why, despite everything I believe, I am supporting this film.

I have made my points clear about this film. If you are expecting anything to do with entertainment, you may not want to pick this up. BUT, if you want to see Mac Culkin have Atlas Shrugged fall on him as he icon-ically picks pulls it off himself ... IF you find yourself grinning at that image ... than this may be a film to just experience once. The characters are literally one-dimensional and the story is bland and predictable, but the love of books - the passion behind a product that will allow you to escape to literally everywhere, is there. It is a sword in the rough towards the world of the electronic reader - and at this day and age, I am willing to accept anything. Our store fights and wins the battle everyday, but for other smaller stores, that have to close to their community, this is a film that should be given to all of them. The fight is there - keep the passion alive.

Overall, beyond my rants and raves - The Pagemaster will be added to the collection, for both message and nostalgia of what I do on a daily basis. I will suggest this film to friends and especially parents looking for that family-friendly film for movie night. BUT, I am not going any higher than a pink score. I don't know if I will watch it again, but I am happy that I saw this at this time in my life. Like books, this movie called out during a great time, and while it is a mismatched film, the message is clear as dawn. Watch The Pagemaster, or revisit it again, and see why books need to remain a staple within our lives and the lives of our children's children. Keep the message of The Pagemaster alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment