Monday, December 6, 2010

Paris When It Sizzles (1964)

First, take a look at this poster. I am not talking about the image of Audrey Hepburn, but instead the sweater wearing William Holden, holding his alcoholic beverage of choice as two Indians peek in. That's right. This movie doesn't just have booze, babes, and bands, but in fact, Indians and Tony Curtis. As un-PC as that sounds, this movie goes quickly from boring, to insane, to funny, to surreal, to risky, to just plain bizzare (and probably back again). Unsure of what to expect when this film starts, Paris When It Sizzles completely took me off-guard. At first, the inclination was that it was going to be a rom-com to the utmost degree, but after further viewing - all the way until the end - this film transformed into the foundation for Charlie Kaufmann's Adaptation. If you thought that movie was creative, then you have yet to see Paris When It Sizzles.

Jen and I went a bit back and forth on this movie. She found a scene that she wants to be played during her funeral, I discovered that drinking all day long, at times shirtless and other times attempting to play Parcheesi with Hepburn, again shirtless, can in fact provide you with enough time (2 days) to write a script. Mind you, the drinking is the most critical moment needed. I feel like I should be asking the question, "Have you ever wanted to write a screenplay?"..."Do you like to drink?" These are all important questions to ask when watching, Paris When It Sizzles. The story is simple. Holden has spent most of his advance for a script boozing, boozing, and well, boozing. Hepburn arrives as the woman to help him get his ideas back. What we, as audience members, watch are his ideas coming to the screen. In a very Hitchcockian storyline, Holden gives us the perspective from the writer. How do ideas come about? Why are twists important? How are cliche's built? These are the type of questions Holden develops, and the end result is nothing like you have seen in films before - especially those made in 1964. The concept, to me, seemed original. I liked watching a movie within a movie, the nuances that give certain scenes that panache and punch described in detail. Of coarse, what would a movie be without a love interest, and the one between Holden and Hepburn feels forced and spooky for a bit due to age and pushiness of Holden. But through time it develops. It never quie reaches that state of "real", but I don't think anything in this movie is supposed to have that feel.

I liked the inside jokes to this film. I liked that Hepburn was reciting lines from her Breakfast at Tiffany's film. I liked that Tony Curtis was the quintessential ace out of the hole. Playing a bit part, and constantly being reminded of it. While I have read critiques that the story is what lacks in this film, and the Holden/Hepburn connection is strong, I stand on the other side. I was pulled into the story of this film. I liked that it felt innocent and sincere, but the sexual jokes and party at the end spoke otherwise. Needless to say, this was a different movie than I originally thought it was going to be. Absolutely, there were parts that seemed long, there were jokes that felt dated, and there were awkward moments due to social changes, but I kinda really liked where this film went. The story within a story leading to our two falling in love without ever leaving the comfort of the hotel room was a nice device. Imagination and creativity were abound in this film, and director Richard Quine. Film buffs I think would appreciate this film more than just the casual viewer.

Oddly, this movie was found in my "Essential Monster Movie Guide" because, for those film buffs that semi-glance at this blog, there is a really cool scene in which Hepburn takes over the script and invisions Holdon as a vampire-esque creature. This, sadly, is one of those scenes that just felt random instead of tangent, which ultimately lead into a scene in which Holden was getting Hepburn drunk. Ahh, the 1960s - my question - have times really changed? I am giving this a green highlight with blue stas. I would watch this again, while I believe Jen would not (it is things from this era that I have learned are not favorites of hers - re: Tom Baker's Dr. Who years). I enjoyed Tony Curtis' in this film, and cannot wait to see him in something else. The Sweet Smell of Success is being released by Criterion soon - maybe it will be one I watch right away. I would suggest this film. I would show it to my neices. I think this era of 60s needs to be remembered, despite the heavy drinking. Good movie for MOVIE DAY. I look forward to finding this movie again.

2 comments:

  1. Good review - I haven't seen this movie so it's now on my growing list - love Audrey Hepburn and indeed many other movies from that genre. Nice blog, will read more thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juliette. This was a strange movie, but it grew on me as the parody's continued to pile up. It reminded me of an old version of "Scary Movie", in which the genre mesh occurs. Pretty decent, pretty drinky, Tony Curtis funny!

    ReplyDelete