Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)

Watching this movie last night, there were just moments where I wondered if I was aware of the full scope that director Mervyn LeRoy was attempting to accomplish. I liked Muni as our lead, going from middle class to rags and further rags in attempts to follow his dream, and while I loved individual scenes, the picture as a whole was great, but not perfect. The overuse of the calendar fades seemed wasteful and pacing near the center lost full momentum as Muni escaped and rejoined civilization. The darkened ending solidified this as a noir 30s film, but again - something just felt lacking. I think a second viewing of this film will help secure this movie's rightful place in Cinema Underground.

For those that haven't seen this film, look at LeRoy's use of the camera to demonstrate the hardships of life on the chain gang, but also how long being in the chain gain remains with you long after. The continuous pans to Muni's feet as he shuffled away was proof of that. I also liked the scene in which Muni attempts to pawn his WWI metal for a meal, in less than three words, the shopkeep directs Muni to a shelf that has a whole bowl full of metals. Warner's attempt to describe what it was like after the war as well as their social commentary of life in "prison" is bleak, but honest. That is why I must own a copy of this film, the sheer honesty that was trying to be shown was detail oriented, just pace-fully bad.

Found in my "Halliwell's The Movies that Matter Most" book, I think I am going to give "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" a green mark with blue stars. I would like to see this movie again merely to see if I can move past the pacing and dive further into what made Muni and Oscar nominated actor and this film a deep social commentary on life in the early-to-late 20s. Bold, but long-lasting? That question will be answered when this film is found in the "Great American Re-Watch" in months or years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment