Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rodan (1956)

It was like going to the movies when I was 8. The excitement, the grandiose special effects, the sheer thrill of not knowing what was going to happen next, would have just blew my mind at that age, and guess what - it still does today. Watching this movie reminded me of what motion pictures were all about. The ability to take one small idea and grow it, using real science and elongated explosions. Absolutely it was low budget, but it felt like a Michael Bay production from the beginning. If it weren't for MST3K and the boys, I may not have chuckled through some of the more lackluster moments, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed what "Rodan" had to offer. This was my first view of this movie, and I cannot wait to see Rodan make further appearances in possible upcoming Godzilla movies.

Yes this was cheap, yes this feels dated, but what a fun time to have in the theater. I cannot wait to show this movie to my kids and to any nieces that I currently have. This is a film that needs to be watched and enjoyed for decades to come. The entire scene where Rodan destroys a town was brilliant, and the twisty-ness of the ending (love story anyone), just kept me wishing for more. Found in my "Japanese Cinema Encyclopedia", this book has been a home-run so far. Obviously, this is getting a green highlight with blue stars ... it will be watched again, and added to the Cinema Underground collection. With only two films left to watch, I am excited to see what will happen next. The Japanese have proven more created and obviously more excited about cinema than we Americans have been for a very long time. "Rodan", you have found a follower with Andy G.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment