Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I Capture the Castle (2003)

I have decided to use the least-like this movie image to demonstrate the mixed emotion felt about this film. Not only was I confused as to what the end-goal was to this literary movie, but it felt as if our actors were equally trying to fit into shoes that weren't theirs. Bad dialogue plagued this film as we drifted further and further away from our title building, the castle. With no attacking, no impending threat, nothing to really tear this building to the floor, we are left with British women squabbling over American men, and their first experiences with love. Not to poke fun, but it has been done before. With "I Capture the Castle", I was hoping for a bit more excitement, more creativity, more pomp-and-circumstance, but alas, there was nothing to report. This was your average film, which drifted between late-night enjoyment, and the back-up plan for a "date night" video. I wish there was more to report, but even Bill Nighy seemed mediocre at best. There was a lacking "umph" from this film, which could explain why it is currently out-of-print and difficult to see outside of the Netflix stream. Could I recommend this film? Probably. Would I collect it? Definitely not.

My first entry in the "Halliwell's The Movies that Matter" book, I begin it with a "Blah". Mediocrity abounds with these Brits as the story weaves in and out of excitement. Bored into the two hours, I am not looking at watching this film again. Pleasant to the ears, but nothing else will bring comfort. A pink mark, decent, but nothing flamboyant.

No comments:

Post a Comment