Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rubber's Lover (1996)

"Ran" to "Rubber's Lover", what has this cinephile come to? Needless to say, not only were these two films complete opposites of the spectrum, but they were also different on levels of enjoyment. "Rubber's Lover" falls into the infamous "Pink Flamingo" problem, where graphic images fall secondary to story, and thus it just creates a vile hour and a half of cinema. "Rubber's Lover" is one of those films that has quite a bit of cult-ish focus surrounding it mainly because of the grotesque images that are within this film, but for me, I just found them dull, pointless, and quite honestly, just plain filler. There was no good story, the characters were misshapen and unknown, and the science behind this science fiction was never quite evolved. This is a study of de-evolution of a film, and how you can take quite a bit of blood, horrid black and white photography, and attempt to create something that the hipsters of today will talk about. To me, it was just pointless drivel, leading ultimately to absolutely nothing.

The final entry in my "Encyclopedia of Japanese Cinema", this is my only negative view. I just can't stand behind a film that replaces story with gore -- at least "Hostel" had a story. I understand the Japanese cinema culture, and perhaps I am missing something huge with "Rubber's Lover", but it just didn't make at least an average score. I was hoping for grandiose, but instead ended up with BLAH. Skip if possible - if seen on the television - run in a different direction. This is getting a yellow highlight with black mark - never to be seen again!

Thanks Thom Monk.

No comments:

Post a Comment